Were Afraid to Ask

Were Afraid to Ask. Ten Job Hunting Questions You Were Afraid to Ask. In the decades that I've been advising people on job hunting, I've collected some questions I haven't seen answered elsewhere -- or at least not to my, my clients' or my students' satisfaction. 
Thank goodness a few brave souls have dared to voice these concerns that often go unspoken -- from managing their professional image, to rallying their references, to handling embarrassing situations at the interview. I want to help people present themselves effectively on and off paper and I'm not afraid to be direct. I'm on their side. From my teaching background, I've learned to say to people "Your behavior isn't working for you" and then help them figure out strategies that will lead to success.

The following are 10 serious job hunting questions that most people are afraid to ask:

Question No. 1: Can I wear my nose ring to the interview?

A. I say, sure, wear your nose ring -- just understand that at least 50 percent of employers or more may not hire you. Know yourself and know the culture of the workplace and company to which you're applying. If you're a nose-ring wearer, you need a nose-ring-friendly environment. Don't take your nose ring out, get hired, put it back in and wonder why you're not being taken to meet clients.

Question No. 2: People don't take me seriously in interviews; I'm petite, blonde and blue-eyed. I know I'm sometimes stereotyped as a "dumb blonde" but I'm not!

A. You've got to manage your image, so it's great that you know this about yourself. Wear some chic but sophisticated glasses (nonprescription if you can see just fine), perhaps with a black or tortoiseshell frame. Now you're projecting the image of the brainiac instead. Another reason to do this: If you've got bags under your eyes for whatever reason, use glasses as camouflage, instead of making me wonder if you've been partying all night.

Question No. 3: I'm really overweight; I'm worried that this might affect my candidacy.

A. The right answer is that you should lose weight for health reasons – but I'm not a diet expert. Employers can be biased against overweight people; you've probably heard about such discrimination cases. The best thing you can do is dress impeccably in well-tailored clothes. The goal is to look as polished as possible, drawing attention to your confidence and sense of style instead of to your extra pounds. Spend a little more if you can on accessories, grooming and clothing. You need a competitive edge here. Focus on your body language, too; you want to appear as active and energetic as possible.

Question No. 4: I sweat a lot, especially when I get nervous. What can I do?

A. Carry your jacket or sweater and put it on at the last minute. Wear dark colors to hide sweat stains and make sure your antiperspirant hasn't left telltale marks on your back and sides. If your hands are sweating, carry a tissue and wipe your hands right before you go to shake hands -- out of sight of the interviewer (and her assistant), of course.

Question No. 5: Can I be funny as I job hunt?

A. I don't know, can you? I know you mean, "May I?" and the answer is: only if you truly are. In a cover letter, avoid any humor that might fall flat. Save it for the interview or thank-you note once you've established a personal rapport with your interviewer.

Question No. 6: Why can't I use my family physician as a reference? He's known me for my whole life, inside and out.

A. Whoa, TMI! I don't want to see his name anywhere unless you worked for him! You need professional or academic recommendations, not personal ones, unless you're asked specifically for a character reference.

Question No. 7: What if my former supervisor speaks little or no English? How do I get a reference that my prospective employer will understand?

A. You may need to ask a colleague to serve as an interpreter or have the supervisor compose a written reference and edit it with her if she is open to it. You can also ask if the supervisor would be comfortable letting you write a letter with her input. Let the employer know what the situation is.

Question No. 8: It's the day of the interview and I have a bloody nose/black eye/horrible rash/fever/migraine/allergic reaction. What now?

A. Try to reschedule, especially if you're sick. Don't show up wheezing or bleeding or oozing. Do the best you can with concealer. Same goes for chapped lips, cuts, bruises, shaving accidents and pimples. If, during an interview, you feel sick or need to sneeze, just excuse yourself to the restroom unless you feel you're in danger of passing out and shouldn't be alone. We all have bodies; I just don't want your bodily fluids spewing all over me or my office.

Question No. 9: What do I do with myself in the waiting room?

A. Here's what not to do: whip out your cell phone and recount the details of your sex life within earshot of the receptionist who has every right to report to her boss. Do some sleuthing into company culture. Read annual reports and catalogs, check out displays and bulletin boards; you might gather interview-worthy questions and material. Observe the people around you, their pace and demeanor. Can you picture yourself fitting in here? Remember, you are under a microscope; do not eat, chew gum, play video games or wear earphones; don't groom in public or bite your nails. If you are invited to join interviewers for lunch or drinks after an interview, remember: You are still on display.

Question No. 10: I might be moving or going to graduate school or getting engaged. Should I reveal that in the interview?

A. If you want the job, keep this kind of information to yourself. Frankly, no matter what your plans are, you have no idea what might be in the cards for you. This might turn out to be your dream job or company, and your plans could be about to change. ( msn.com )





No comments:

Post a Comment